Stuart Hoegner is an international cryptocurrency and gaming lawyer and accountant in Canada. Stu acts for leading entrepreneurs and businesses in these dynamic and growing market spaces. He has appeared as an expert on cryptocurrency issues before securities commissions and regulators, the Department of Finance, the Canadian Intellectual Property Office, and the Senate Standing Committee on Banking, Trade and Commerce. He is the General Counsel to the Bitcoin Alliance of Canada, a federal not-for-profit corporation advocating for cryptocurrency research and adoption. He is the editor of ‘The Law of Bitcoin,’ the world’s first book on the law of cryptocurrencies. Stu is a prolific author, a sought-after speaker, and authors a regular blog on cryptocurrency and gaming issues.
Stu previously spent 8 years in the M&A Tax Group at Ernst & Young. He obtained his law degree from the Faculty of Law at the University of Toronto.
Stu is called to the bar in Canada and the United States. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the State Bar of Nevada, the Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario, the Canadian Bar Association, and the International Masters of Gaming Law.
- Lead counsel to Bitfinex, the largest USD–bitcoin trading exchange
- Lead legal advisor to Tether, a next-generation financial platform and smart property project
- Lead attorney for Coinsetter on its acquisition of CAVirtEx, one of the largest and oldest Canadian bitcoin exchanges
- Advisor to Canadian provincial governments on conducting and managing Internet gaming
- Lead attorney for sellers on the sale of one of the world’s largest bitcoin casinos
- Lead attorney to major bitcoin and altcoin poker brands
- Lead counsel and negotiator for foreign and domestic gaming equipment manufacturers introducing their products into new markets
- Lead advisor and negotiator for a major Internet poker brand being acquired by a new operator and leaving its network
- Lead negotiator for poker professionals in representation agreements and television deals
- Counsel to high net worth gaming entrepreneurs initiating new business models
- Lead Canadian counsel for fantasy sports sites, offshore bookmakers, international skill gaming operators, and penny auction sites seeking to enter into and understand the Canadian legal landscape and marketplace
- Managed strategy, execution, and compliance for online poker and casino clients attending the WSOP®
- Lead legal advisor to annual land-based poker tournament in the Caribbean with a global base of >500 players and a guaranteed first place prize of >US$1M
Lisa Guylee is the firm’s Executive Assistant. Lisa has key skills in project and file management, accounting, book-keeping, and banking. She works closely with counsel and is responsible for all office management. Her duties include: co-ordinating projects, proposals, and schedules; compiling reports and data analysis; and managing the firm’s business operations.
Lisa obtained her Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from the University of Waterloo.